Friday, November 26, 2010

Praline Custard Pie from Something Elsah


Years ago, there was a very quaint, very charming little restaurant in Grafton, IL called Elsah's Landing. Known for their cinnamon rolls (the town, I'm told, always smelled very cinnamon-y early in the morning) and pies, the establishment became so successful that an offshoot called Something Elsah opened up in Plaza Frontenac shopping center in an affluent suburb of St. Louis. Unfortunately both are now closed, but thanks to the wonderful Special Request Cookbooks published by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, we can still enjoy some of their delicious desserts.

I am not a pie person, but this pie is not only relatively easy to make, but knock-your-socks off delicious.

Praline Custard Pie from Something Elsah Restaurant

1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup plus 1 T/ butter, divided
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
1 cup granulated sugar
3 T. cornstarch
1/8 t. salt
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 t. vanilla
1-1/2 cups whipped cream, plus more for optional garnish
Lightly toasted pecans pieces, for option garnish

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a small pan, heat brown sugar, pecans, and 1/3 cup butter; cook and stir until; butter is melted. Spread in baked pie shell; place in oven and bake 5 minutes. Let cool.

Combine granulated sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Beat in salt, egg yolks and milk. Cook over medium heat until very thick, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; cook and stir just until butter is melted. Measure out 1 cup custard; set aside. Pour remaining custard into prepared pie shell.

When the 1 cup of custard cools, fold in whipped cream. Spread on top of pie; chill. Garnish with toasted pecans, dollops or whipped cream, or both.

Yield: 8 servings

Source: Special Requests Cookbook, published by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch





This is linked to Foodie Friday.

FOODIE FRIDAY Click for details

8 comments:

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

A keeper if I ever saw one! YUM.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Pattie - that wooden pastry tool is from Pampered Chef. Very inexpensive - like less than $5. I'm sure you can find them on ebay for even less than that.

:)
ButterYum

Jacqueline said...

My, oh, my! That looks abslutely heavenly. What a flavor combination and yours looks incredible. I know how hard it is to get a photo worthy piece of pie. Love it.

Scribbler said...

I absolutely love visiting your blog! Your food always looks divine. Your TGV table is beautiful, too.

Someone may have told you by now, but years ago (I don't know if it is still there) there is a very unique shopping area in Dallas called Olla Podrida. Everything was handmade. I used to love visiting there, because I really really like artisanal products.

I saved this pie recipe, and I predict that it will be a big hit!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Thanks, Scribbler. Actually back in the late 70s I did visit Olla-Podrida in Dallas. I still have the necklace I bought when I was there. I loved the place. At that time, though, I had no idea what it meant!

Amy said...

Yum.....this is such a delicious recipe! I'll definitely try it, thank you for sharing. Thanks for leaving the nice comment on my blog. Happy holidays to you and your family.

Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Hi Pattie, it was so nice to see your comment on my blog post and I just loved the recipe I found on yours! There's something about cream pies and pecans! This pie sounds just delicious and I can't wait to make it. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful recipe posts! Ciao, bella!

CookingEnthusiast said...

The original restaurant was located in Elsah, and was called The Elsah Landing Restaurant, NOT Elsah's Landing. The location at Plaza Frontenac, an expansion venture between the two partners, was opened well before the restaurant moved to Grafton.